Family and Consumer Sciences Examination (FCS)
* Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) is the comprehensive body of skills, research, and knowledge that helps people make informed decisions about their well being, relationships, and resources to achieve optimal quality of life.
* The field represents many areas, including human development, personal and family finance, housing and interior design, food science, nutrition, and wellness, textiles and apparel, and consumer issues.
* American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) is an American professional association that networks professionals in the area of family and consumer science.
* It was founded in 1908.
* The AAFCS (American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences) represents teachers, educators, cooperatives, business, designers and nutritionists.
* The American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) is the only national forum where K-12 teachers, university educators, and corporate executives collaborate to improve the quality of individual and family life.
What is FCS
* Home economics or domestic science, now known as family and consumer sciences (FCS), is the profession and field of study that deals with the economics and management of the home and community.
* The field deals with the relationship between individuals, families, and communities, and the environment in which they live.
* As a subject of study, FCS is taught in secondary schools, colleges and universities, vocational schools, and in adult education centers; students include women and men.
* It prepares students for homemaking or professional careers, or to fulfill real-life responsibilities in the home.
* As an academic endeavor, it includes educators in the field and human services professionals.
* The field represents many disciplines including consumer science, nutrition, food preparation, parenting, early childhood education, family economics, human development, interior design, textiles, apparel design, as well as other related subjects.
* Family and Consumer Sciences education focuses on individuals and families living in society throughout their lifespan, thus dealing not only with families but also with their interrelationships with the communities. Other topics such as sexual education and fire prevention may also be covered.
Areas of practice
Home Economics is also called Human sciences based on everyday work where the setting is the house. Home economics has four dimensions of practice:
* as an academic discipline to educate new scholars, to conduct research and to discover new knowledge and ways of thinking for professionals and for society
* everyday living in households, families and communities for developing life skills and develop potential for growth
* curriculum area that facilitates students to discover and further develop their own resources and capabilities
* influence and develop policy to advocate for individuals, families and communities to achieve empowerment and well-being, utilize transformative practices, and facilitate sustainable futures.
To be successful in these four dimensions of practice means that the profession is constantly evolving, and there will always be new ways of performing the profession.
Heart of the Profession – Enhancing Quality of Life
* The practice of our profession is not only transmitting knowledge, but also fulfilling our mission to enhance quality of life for individuals, families, and communities.
* Improving quality of life has been central to Family and Consumer sciences from its beginning.
* A survey of AAFCS professionals who received the Association’s “Leaders” and “New Achievers” awards, revealed the core values at the soul of the profession.
* When asked, “What keeps your Lamp burning?” respondents said:
– making a difference
– helping others
– experiencing personal fulfillment
– being a mentor and role model.
* For most family and consumer sciences professionals, their career is more than a job —it is a calling, an attitude, a perspective, and sense of dedication that enhances the content and continuing evolution of the field.
* To thrive in the future, it is critical that every professional continues to express the heart and soul of the profession, as well as researching and teaching the empirical knowledge of the discipline.
Certification Eligibility Criteria for FCS by AAFCS
1. To be eligible to take a national AAFCS examination the candidate must have graduated from an accredited educational institution with a baccalaureate degree, or plan to graduate within the year.
2. Some institutions use the national examination system as a pre-test or post-test; these candidates take the exam on the schedule established by their school.
Tips and Materials to Prepare for the FCS Exam
* The test measures two things: your knowledge of the subject matter and your ability to take an examination.
* The first depends on your preparation and experience in your chosen field of family and consumer sciences. You can improve in this area through study.
* The second area depends on self-confidence and your experience with multiple-choice questions. It also depends upon your ability to recognize related information or solutions to problem situations.
* AAFCS Family & Consumer Sciences Exam Secrets by Mometrix helps you ace the American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences Certification Examination, without weeks and months of endless studying.
* This comprehensive AAFCS Family & Consumer Sciences Exam Secrets study guide is written by exam experts, who painstakingly researched every topic and concept that you need to know to score high in your test.